Saturday, May 30, 2009

continuer

Things have been going well, it was a full week of work. I've been spending my mornings at L'Etape, which is such a rewarding experience. It mostly includes supervising the breakfast, making sure there's enough stuff (bread, coffee, milk, etc), and discussing with the people that come. While the average is about 30 people, one day we had a total of 45 people throughout the morning! I'm starting to make some good friends, and learning so much from these wise and experienced people.

With some friends, Eliza and Makou, at L'Etape.

Some other tasks I've been helping with include accompanying a lady to the embassy of Cameroon, and accompanying another guy to a medical visit. I'm there to help make sure 1) they don't forget to go and 2) everything goes smoothly once we're there. One of my coworkers said they were "ravi" that I was there and able to help, so it seems like I'm doing some good!

Here's a funny little anecdote that I think you guys will enjoy. One day while walking to the metro after work, I passed by a young dude who looked super Jewish, and I said bonjour as I typically do to people I make eye contact with. A couple seconds later he ran back up to me and asked, "Hey, are you Jewish?" I laughed and said, heck yeah, I'm a Jewish Christian! He was pretty excited and said he could tell from my face. I felt pretty proud. Anyway, we talked a little, and he asked if I ever had put on phylacteries before. I said no, and he offered to do it for me, so I said why not. I'll let wikipedia show you the rest:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Tefillin_worn_by_a_man_at_the_Western_Wall_in_Jerusalem.jpg

That's what I looked like. So once I had it all on, right there in the middle of the sidewalk, I repeated a prayer in Hebrew. It took about 5 minutes in all, and after I asked the meaning. He said it was an act of consecrating your heart and your mind to God. So cool!!


As it was a beautiful day today, I took a little walk and explored the neighborhood. So dang beautiful.

There's a field with some horses about 2 minutes away from my house here.

The Mairie (town hall) of Conches

I really liked this little road for some reason.

Next week I'll be at Chamarande, a vacation home owned by Les Petits Frères where the patrons are taken on daytrips. It gives them a chance to get out of the city, have a little pause, a good meal, and relax. I'll be staying there all week, taking care of meals and helping them to enjoy their stay. I'll be without internet from monday night to next saturday! Love you guys.

2 comments:

  1. I love reading these! I can't wait to be there!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sound like you're having a blast over there Cuz! It's great being able to keep up with you on here. Take care!

    ReplyDelete